• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Realtor Shadow

Realtor Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

New to this forum and my first post so forgive me if I have broken any rules.  I have recently purchased a 2001 VT750CD2 Shadow and I need an engine. The motor is locked up and will not turn over. The previous owner had the bike in a shop that diagnosed the problem as a bad crank. I have looked and found several engines on EBAY but wanted to start with a forum where I feel I would get better responses. First what do I need to look for in buying a replacement engine, and when I ask this I specifically mean, are there serial numbers to look for, certain year models that are interchangeable? Also, if someone here has an engine for sale I would be interested as well. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Where are you?  Could the bike have been a flood victim and the engine full of water? That will lock up an engine as will a cylinder full of any liquid on the compression stroke.

IME sellers can often make up stories on the fly.  

Just humor me on this, pull a spark plug from each cylinder, put the bike in second or third gear try to roll back and forth and see if anything pumps out of the spark plug holes.

I've never personally heard of a crank or rod go on these bikes, but anything is possible and for major parts failure, an engine swap is likely both your cheapest and least hassle route.

Well the following would be my guidelines, others may add more detail or point out something important I missed.

From 1998 to 2003 750 ACE are interchangeable, VT750C, CD, CD2 vary in the amount of shiny for cases and cylinder head trim, but all will interchange.

So look at what you have versus what is in the pictures for finish.

The versions for California have different emissions stuff,  fuel evaporation canister and carb plumbing, but beyond that the engines are the same.

Generally the lower the mileage the better and the newer the better.  These bikes do tend to run for ever if properly maintained, but lower mileage tends to indicate less owners and less chance of problems. 

Look carefully at pictures to make sure nothing is cosmetically damaged visibly cracked or leaking and the motor mounts look good, the donor bikes have usually been in a write-off accident after all.

Find out what comes with the engine, if the engine is missing more than the carbs and starter I would pass on it.  Some sellers sell all kinds of parts off the engine like stator, covers etc. that you will have to swap or replace, you don't need that hassle. 

A full history of the donor bike is sometimes available as well as videos of the bike running prior to disassembly.

Take a good look at pictures of the donor bike if available, it is best if it is stock looking, no aftermarket pipes or intake.

The more background info the better, ask to see the donor bikes paperwork, you don't need a stolen engine for your bike.

If you can find an engine locally it may work out cheaper depending on shipping costs and you get to see.

If you get stuck finding an engine you like, engines from the 2001 - 2007  VT750DC Spirit, twin carb, chain drive models will also bolt up, but the cylinder trim pieces are different.        

#3 Realtor Shadow

Realtor Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Vomio,

Thanks for the detailed response, this is very helpful.

Since the top end of this engine is already disassembled I can not do the steps you mentioned. I think there might be an issue with the connection between the crank and the gearbox. If I try to turn the crank by hand it will only slightly move back and forth. The movement is very smooth and it feels like it is rocking back and forth between two gears so I do not believe it crank/rod related.  I can also put the bike in neutral and move it with no problem and this is why I believe it has something to do with the connection of the crank and gearbox. I plan to remove the engine and open it up to see if I can find the problem but in case I need an engine I wanted to start asking questions about a replacement.

#4 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

I think I'm getting a better picture now.

Before you pull the engine.

Drain the oil if not already done, and remove the right side crankcase cover, under there is the clutch and primary gear drive to the transmission.

It may be something obvious in there like something jammed in the primary gears or an exploded clutch.

If you have not already done so grab a copy of the Service Manual here:

http://www.750ace.com/extras.html

It is the bible for these bikes, there may occasionally be some quicker easier ways to do some procedures, but there is no better publication.

#5 Realtor Shadow

Realtor Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

Vomio,

I pulled the engine tonight and it is the back rod that is frozen to the crank.  :(  I am looking for an engine now that I have determined the problem.

Thanks

#6 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like the previous owner forgot about the oil.

Good luck with your engine search.