• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joey

joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hello Everybody: New to this site.  My 2003 750 shadow ace started yesterday. Went to the store and shut it off.  Came out and all I got were clicks. Turned the ignition off  and tried to start it  and again clicks. On the third try it started.The battery is excellent and checked voltage and it is perfect. Newer battery.  Wondering if it is starter, solenoid, or ignition.   Mileage 78,000. Please help as I am capable of replacing anything that may be wrong with it.  Hoping to hear soon.    Thanks.

Edited by joey, 27 November 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#2 gcrank1

gcrank1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Heavy clicks indicate the solenoid is energizing, at that point it is supposed to be sending the current to the starter. Most often a 'clicking solenoid' occurs with a low battery though it sounds like this is not your case. A bad connection is the next suspect, just like with a corroded post(s) on your car battery, that dosent let the full current through all the time (and just gets worse over time).

I would disconnect the battery at posts, solenoid and starter wires, clean all up well, and reassemble. At this point I wouldnt suspect the starter button as it is triggering the solenoid, but I would put a reburb of it on my 'to-do-list'.

Edited by gcrank1, 27 November 2017 - 11:16 AM.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#3 joey

joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

Heavy clicks indicate the solenoid is energizing, at that point it is supposed to be sending the current to the starter. Most often a 'clicking solenoid' occurs with a low battery though it sounds like this is not your case. A bad connection is the next suspect, just like with a corroded post(s) on your car battery, that dosent let the full current through all the time (and just gets worse over time).

I would disconnect the battery at posts, solenoid and starter wires, clean all up well, and reassemble. At this point I wouldnt suspect the starter button as it is triggering the solenoid, but I would put a reburb of it on my 'to-do-list'.

Thank you very much. Thought as much.  What do you mean reburb or refurb starter button?  Thanks again.

#4 gcrank1

gcrank1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

We have some threads on that, but, in short, the juice to the starter solenoid is triggered by the starter button; the headlight power also always runs through that button except at start up when you push the button in, then the headlight is unpowered so as not draw any juice away from the starter. This puts extra loads on the starter button, and over time, as corrosion sets in, heat is created; not good for the little bits in there (and there are more than usual). carefully pulling it apart, with a catch rag mounted beneath, and systematically popping the little bits out, cleaning up and reassembllng with a bit of dialectric grease is good service for this often long neglected switch. And they are expensive to have to replace.

If you have any other aux. lighting wired in with the headlight it will also be run through this and can easily overload it. If you dont have any, good, if you do we also have info on putting in a relay to unload the switch (WAY good).

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe