#1 tabaka45

tabaka45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, GA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

I just had to clean my starter button and now it works well. But it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to know how to start it if I have that problem while on a trip. I assume that I could use a short jumper cable directly from the battery to the positive connection on the starter. But would it be easier to do something at the starter relay?

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Always check the kill switch is not on before going into the "won't start" panic.  Don't ask me how I know this.

The simplest way is to jump the two large nutted socket head bolt terminals on the solenoid, without shorting to the frame or anything else.

The ignition switch should be on and the transmission in neutral if you want the bike to start.

Use something fairly beefy to do this as it is pulling the starting current through whatever you use.

Do not do it in an explosive atmosphere as you will probably have sparks. 

This is really only an emergency or "testing" measure.

Be aware that if the battery is low this is not a great approach as the headlight is still drawing power while starting.

Another approach: I think it is theoretically possible to energize the solenoid and do a more normal start by applying +ve power to the solenoid coil terminal bypassing all the switches, but since the terminals are in a common 4 pin connector under the rubber boot It would be more of a pain in the butt to accomplish in an emergency on road situation.

Edited by Vomio, 12 November 2017 - 01:04 PM.
bolts not nuts

#3 tabaka45

tabaka45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, GA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Thanks. Hope I never have to jump it, but it might be a good idea to carry something on long trips. Or maybe even a pair of insulated pliers might work. Apparently this problem is not that uncommon—even the stuck spring issue like I had. Here is a really good article on the starter button issue.

http://www.rattlebar...tz/starter.html