#1 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

The seductive curved rear fender struts are lovely, but pose some 'bag mounting' challenges.

I have the underbag support rails and some Saddleman throwover or hardmount (with their generic kit which I do not have) bags that do fit between the shocks and turn signals.

Im more than fairly handy and have done lots of odd mounts and mods and am willing to learn new tricks. The 'kit' doesnt look to have more than a few useful 'bits' for this bike.

Does anyone have some tips for a clean and useful hardmounting, or a link to a prior discussion?

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#2 bgreat

bgreat

• Contributor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

I have Viking bags and mounts. The mounting rails are on an angle on the bags, but work fine and look good. Only the chrome mount posts are left on the fender struts with the bags removed. Very clean look.

Enjoy!

Bill

#3 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

I bought some Mutazu FL bags a few years ago. I found the mounts they came with to be big and ugly. They also didn't sit onto the rail without seriously damaging it. I also have a paladin quick release sissy bar so that doesn't work.

I build some bag mounts to solve this issue. The nice thing is that they are now universal for mounting any bags, but are custom built for the ace to avoid the shocks and chain guard.

This is the cad drawing, i'll grab some photos of the real things tonight.

They are made on my CNC plasma with 3/16" steel for the bag portion, but the arms that attach to the rail are doubled up making them 3/8" for rigidity, they also attach to the rear bolt ( fender mount) and front bolt (frame mount), I did this to avoid having the full bag mounted to the fender bolts and evenly distribute the load to both. The mid bolt I left out of the mount because it would push the front paladin mount out too far.

Fully loaded with water bottles ( good test BTW) they do not not sag, flex of bounce, even on a rough dirt road.

I'm pulling the FY Bags off and putting on my bigger LW bags, all I have to do is position them and drill. Inside the bag there is a cross plate that also doubles as a mesh bag holder for my phone, wallet, ownerships.. 

FY -  L 17" x H 11" x W 5.5" https://www.mutazu.c...star-c50-vulcan

LW - L 19.5" x H 13" x W 8" https://www.mutazu.c...s-most-cruisers

Attached Files

Edited by X3R0, 07 November 2017 - 09:12 AM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#4 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Finally had a chance to get some photos.

Don't mind the mess, haven't had a chance to do the storage clean up yet. Also everything is getting repainted this winter.

I'm going to clean up the mounts a bit, fix some ugly welds , repaint and replace the bolts with stainless ones when I do the new bags.

Attached Files

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#5 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanx, the pics do speak a thousand words!

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#6 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

FWIW, When I had my Nomad, I held the bags up to the Ace, with the right brackets, I think they'd go good.

one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com...t-/291926946817

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.