#1 stevekulka

stevekulka

I Post Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:24 AM

Oftentimes, if you're actually looking for the leather (spam link removed) as you ride you are going to want to bring an additional layer in the crotch and backside area in order to have padding. The majority of the pants at Leather Collection are produced from a Leather.

Edited by Vomio, 31 October 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#2 FNG

FNG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

First post here, thanks to everyone for all of the good information on this site.

Not sure I understand what this original post was meant to address... but does anyone have any recommendations on motorcycle pants?  What does everyone wear when you ride?  I've seen a lot of videos showing how little protection regular jeans provide in a fall/crash but I haven't seen any "great" alternatives.

#3 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Fwiw, and I know this goes against the current wisdom and teaching, all but one of my 'downs' (and Ive had more than just a couple) which had slides, I was wearing jeans. The pants all had more damage than me. Even jeans are way better than no jeans; ie, riding in shorts. I did have some 'rash' and even drew some blood, but all in all did Ok, considering. Could call it luck though I have had enough experience to think there was a pattern.

The exception was with a Cordura riding pants. It had some scuffs, no real damage. Still had some rash and it seemed 'hotter' on me; the Cordura is a synthetic, jeans are cotton.

I learned early on to keep rolling, dont slide on any one spot too long. Easier said than done.....by the time you realize youre sliding you have gone a fair bit, so roll asap.....

Worst damage to one pair of jeans was the EMT cutting the leg open after the town accident that took out my knee ACL. No high tech riding pants would have changed that outcome.

I still ride in jeans, going on 50 years and over 250K miles and dont feel at risk.

YMMV, do what makes you feel safe, especially the NOT being in an accident part.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#4 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

I ride in jeans, I figure they may have a second or two of sliding in them before you get burned or hit meat.

I always wear boots and gloves, messed up hands and feet really suck, and 99% of the time I wear a leather jacket, as t-shirts in my experience seem to transmit everything although surviving surprisingly well themselves other than getting bloody.

I think it all comes down to a trade off with the risk demon, but we all play a little of that game anyway, don't we?

One thing I've learned as I've gotten older, I'm a whole lot slower popping back up, that probably makes me a bit more careful.

I no longer look at a sandy pavement slide and a fresh tank dent as a sign of Spring.  (-;

#5 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

FWIW, this poster is on at least one other mc forum with a similar post.

Looking like more than just an enthusiastic rider.......

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#6 FNG

FNG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the heads-up gcrank1.  I went ahead and reported the post to see if its a spam-bot or something, probably not a good idea to click on the link in the original post.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on what you choose to wear when you ride.  Good Stuff.

#7 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

I considered it pretty spam-ish when first posted, but the poster has been a lurking member for a while, despite only making one post.

It was motorcycle related and so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he is a happy customer?

I followed the link no problems here.

leathercollection.com has been on the Internet since 1999 so it doesn't appear to be a two day wonder.

#8 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

It was posted on the TU250 Riders Forum also, where I am a member.  AFAIK Im the only one here with a TUX and there with an ACE (it is an odd pairing) so that flags it to me; and 'he' hasnt posted up anything else or offered an introduction (again, odd) but that marketing link in the 1st post on either site.

I certainly welcome his response if I have called this out wrongly and apologize if so.

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#9 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Fixed, he can contact me through the link in the New Member Problem area.

Googling turned it up on several forums, at least one of which was taking this approach and leaving the thread due to member contributions.

When I signed up as Manager, I thought it said Mangler and I said "Sure PlaneCrazy, I can do that."

So there you go and there he goes.