• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

I was looking to upgrade, either jump to a new bike of something with the ace.

I like the ace, its a fun bike. I already invested a lot of time into it and I wasn't planning of getting rid of it. So I decided to throw some money at it instead of dropping $4000 on a newer bigger bike.

What I did :

- Mustang vintage seat

- Progressive 412 12" rears

- Bigger Hard Bags - LW Mutazu , I have the FY and they serve fine, but many times I found I needed bigger!

- Paint - No color chosen yet, but I have the $300 locked away for the winter, thinking blackened brass/copper look.

Installation:

Mustangs were a joke, super easy, even easier than the stock seat.

Progressives - Used the bike jack, lifted it up till the wheel just came off the ground, pulled the 2 12mm bolts, slid the stock shocks off, popped the new ones in, put the bike down.

Bags - not installed yet, but I built a set of custom hard mounts that allow for the paladin backrest to work, will simply be a matter of sitting the bag where I want and marking my holes.

Ride :

Mustang - talk about putting you in a different position. I'm more of a laid back stretch rider, but this forces you into an upright position, my legs reach my 8" forwards better, less strain on my ankles, so far so good :D

Progressives - Damn I wish I did this much sooner. Totally different ride. All those comments that claim they made a difference are all 100% true.

In total my whole upgrade cost me about $1800.00. this plus the other changes I did make it a very capable bike.

My plan is to ride it for as long as possible, with the hopes of giving it to my son.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for reporting on your changes.

As you plan on keeping the bike improvements to personalize it and make it more to your liking make sense.

I wish I could sneak a couple of grand into my bike, but currently anything other than maintenance would be a hard sell in my house.

#3 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for reporting on your changes.

As you plan on keeping the bike improvements to personalize it and make it more to your liking make sense.

I wish I could sneak a couple of grand into my bike, but currently anything other than maintenance would be a hard sell in my house.

I had put the money aside for it for the better part of the year. I was going to drop $4000 on a new one, but instead did this and put the rest into the college/university fund for the kids, my goal is for them both to have zero university debt at the end.

So far i'm happy with the seat, only took it out once, winter and all that. The suspension made a big difference, but I need to see how that is with my wife on it.

When spring rolls around i'll put up some photos of the ace when she's finished.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.