4 replies to this topic

#1 Otis

Otis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hi all!

I'm new here. Not exactly cause i've been watching around for info about mechanics and different things related to my Shadow ACE in this forum. I'm from Spain, by the way (sorry for my english, it's not my mother tonge but I love it), maybe we're not too many here :X ...

The thing is that recently I've installed Progressive 11" shocks in my ACE but I've realize that in certain occassions, when I take curve or a close turn, my lower exhaust hits the ground becaus of rear lowering. I've set up the suspension with the higher preload and this fixed it a little bit. But every now and then it happens again. 

Does anyone have a solution for this issue? I've been thinking of turning both exhaust 1 or 2 degrees from the manifold to lift their tips and leave 'em parallel with new drills on the fixing plate.

Thanks! And this forum is the most usefull for an ACE owner ever!

#2 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

You lean over more, keep bike more upright in turns?   like this guy  ;)  :

http://www.motorcycl...p_Cornering.jpg

That or 11-1/2" or 12" shocks,,,    I do have the 11-1/2" Progressives on my 01, never had the stock exhaust drag. I do run them on the middle preload position though, gives the best ride there. 

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

#3 Otis

Otis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hahahaha hopefuly I could lean over as much as that guy does. My exhausts are pointing a little down so that's the reason I grind the lower one when taking a turn. Recently I've found a shock extender piece that could be helpful to my aim. Has anyone of you ever heard about? Or better, ever used it?

Attached File  DSC05583.JPG   150.84K   5 downloads

#4 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

I see no reason those won't work for what you need. That is an ingeniously simple way to extend the shocks. Wish I'd thought of it.

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

#5 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Extenders negate the lowering effect of shorter than oem shocks but will let you use what you have bought already.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe