#1 tabaka45

tabaka45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, GA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

Yesterday when I pushed the starter button at first nothing happened. The kickstand was down and it was in neutral. After several tries it started. I let it run for a couple of minutes and shut it down. Again it wouldn’t do anything when the starter button was pushed. I tried several times and gave up. I hooked a battery tender to it, and this morning it did the same thing but after several attempts it started as seems to be working fine. I’m assuming that I may have a problem with the starter button, but before taking it apart I thought I would see if anyone had had the same problem and/or had any suggestions or advice. On my Yamaha XJ700 the contacts on the starter button are not accessible. Hope they are on the Ace.

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

It does sound like a classic case of dirty switch.

Getting to it is straight forward, a couple of screws hold the switch case assembly together and there is a wire strain relief loop with two screws.

The switch is clipped together, held in by one screw. so it is relatively easy to service, there is a spring that can get lost and a detent ball that will likely not try to jump out, but keep an eye on it.

Edited by Vomio, 07 October 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#3 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I would start out with suspecting the kickstand safety switch. Next time you try to start and you get nothing wiggle the bike on the sidestand while holding the starter button.

There is also a neutral safety switch. so if the above doesnt work try wiggling the shift lever with your toe WHILE ALSO HOLDING THE CLUTCH LEVER IN so the bike doesnt suddenly leap out beneath you.

The sideatand cut-offs seem to go flakely on all brands with some regularity, they are exposed to road spray/elements more.

After that you may well need to get into the stater button, and it needs 'service' anyway.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#4 tabaka45

tabaka45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, GA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

Wglad to know it’s possible to clean the contacts. I may go ahead and do that as a regular service. If it happens before that i’ll be able to try the “wiggle” check fo the kickstand am shift lever. Now that I think of it I think I had the neutral issue on my XJ.

#5 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

I could be wrong, yet again, but if the neutral and side stand idiot lights are working, then those switches would be pretty low on my list of probabilities.

#6 HOK

HOK

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

I had a similar issue. After cleaning the switch, I realized that if the switch was pushed too hard them problem still occured. I stopped pushing the switch so far in.

#7 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:09 AM

I could be wrong, yet again, but if the neutral and side stand idiot lights are working, then those switches would be pretty low on my list of probabilities.

Not quite.. My ace was in neutral - light on and stand up - Light on, i hit the starter and the damned thing lurched forward 2 feet, I don't trust those lights alone. 

My experience with electrical systems on vehicles is that of little trust.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#8 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

A very good point, but really the reverse of the original situation here, your starter worked.  (-;

I am in agreement with you on electrics, I've had my day ruined a few times over the years.

I come from a time when things were simpler, no magic switches or diode clusters, when you could pull in the clutch and kick the thing over, when the side stand was down or it wasn't  the warning light was in your head and the neutral light you may or may not have the luxury, usually you checked for neutral with the clutch lever or rocking the bike back and forth, heck on some bikes I had the only switch was the kill switch.   Then came the electric starter, safety experts and lawyers.....

Imagine if Joseph Lucas was still around with all this modern stuff on bikes, now that would be a nightmare.

IIRC you can't even pass a road safety inspection here, without all the magic interlock stuff.