• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

I have a 2000 ACE 750 which I will bob out, and I'm looking for some gas cap mod ideas. Currently I have the twist cap which is accompanied by some chrome decoration which I'm not a fan of. What have some of you guys done?

#2 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

I am seriously considering removing my 03 stock tank trim and speedo, moving to a bar mounted one . If you have a photo of what you currently have that would be interesting to see.

but i'm in the same boat, what to do with the gas cap...

Edited by X3R0, 11 October 2017 - 01:45 PM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#3 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Well since the trim mounting brackets will need to be ground off and you are in for a repaint anyway and the stock filler neck sits up so high, completely purging the gas tank and welding in a new aftermarket bung and cap is probably the way to go.   There are lots of choices out there in Customland for example: https://www.lowbrowc...d-in-bung.html

Needless to say don't empty the gas tank with a Shop-Vac and don't try to braze it in with the Bernzomatic on the kitchen table. (-;   Seriously don't.

EDIT:  There is lots of information on how to weld a used gas tank on the internet some of it conflicting, best to take it to an experienced pro for the welding.

Edited by Vomio, 11 October 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#4 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

Well since the trim mounting brackets will need to be ground off and you are in for a repaint anyway and the stock filler neck sits up so high, completely purging the gas tank and welding in a new aftermarket bung and cap is probably the way to go.   There are lots of choices out there in Customland for example: https://www.lowbrowc...d-in-bung.html

Needless to say don't empty the gas tank with a Shop-Vac and don't try to braze it in with the Bernzomatic on the kitchen table. (-;   Seriously don't.

EDIT:  There is lots of information on how to weld a used gas tank on the internet some of it conflicting, best to take it to an experienced pro for the welding.

Thats all not a problem for me. I wanted a bigger tank on my nighthawk so I cut it in two, added a 2" strip and fixed her up.

It's an undertaking, none the less.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#5 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

I am seriously considering removing my 03 stock tank trim and speedo, moving to a bar mounted one . If you have a photo of what you currently have that would be interesting to see.

but i'm in the same boat, what to do with the gas cap...

#6 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Here’s a pic of what I got going on.

#7 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Sometimes you have to significantly reduce the size of the image, especially with modern cameras and phones, to get it to post directly to the forums.

You might have better luck posting it to the Gallery and then linking back, but there are size limitations there too.

Not sure of the amount of data allowed although I should know that, I usually keep shrinking images until it works.

Edit: to link an image you have to use "More Reply Options" at the bottom right.

Edited by Vomio, 20 October 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#8 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

So here is the actual picture (working on that dent). I am not a huge fan of the extra chrome fixture around the cap and I am hoping to remove but that will leave an awkward raised gas cap. Attached File  Gas Cap.jpg   107.93K   18 downloads

#9 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:11 AM

I know this doesn't really answer your original question.

Maybe the easiest way to somewhat hide it would be to paint the trim to match the tank.

The stock cap is pretty large and flat so it will look mushroom-like without the trim.

I wonder if the neck hole design is common with other Honda's, allowing for some cap interchange, maybe a thicker one with a bit of a skirt.

These tanks are single wall and thin that dent might not be as bad as it looks to get out, I'd get an estimate from one of the paintless dent removal shops.

It might still need filler and paint but a whole lot less.

Edited by Vomio, 09 November 2017 - 12:13 AM.

#10 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

I know this doesn't really answer your original question.

Maybe the easiest way to somewhat hide it would be to paint the trim to match the tank.
The stock cap is pretty large and flat so it will look mushroom-like without the trim.
I wonder if the neck hole design is common with other Honda's, allowing for some cap interchange, maybe a thicker one with a bit of a skirt.

These tanks are single wall and thin that dent might not be as bad as it looks to get out, I'd get an estimate from one of the paintless dent removal shops.
It might still need filler and paint but a whole lot less.

Thanks Vomio, I have thought about painting it. I would really like to chop it and weld in a new cap system but don’t have the means. As far as the dent goes, I bought a dent removal kit and it’s coming out easier than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk