• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Calaveray

Calaveray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

I have a 2000 ACE 750 which I will bob out, and I'm looking for some gas cap mod ideas. Currently I have the twist cap which is accompanied by some chrome decoration which I'm not a fan of. What have some of you guys done?

#2 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

I am seriously considering removing my 03 stock tank trim and speedo, moving to a bar mounted one . If you have a photo of what you currently have that would be interesting to see.

but i'm in the same boat, what to do with the gas cap...

Edited by X3R0, 11 October 2017 - 01:45 PM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#3 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Well since the trim mounting brackets will need to be ground off and you are in for a repaint anyway and the stock filler neck sits up so high, completely purging the gas tank and welding in a new aftermarket bung and cap is probably the way to go.   There are lots of choices out there in Customland for example: https://www.lowbrowc...d-in-bung.html 

Needless to say don't empty the gas tank with a Shop-Vac and don't try to braze it in with the Bernzomatic on the kitchen table. (-;   Seriously don't.

EDIT:  There is lots of information on how to weld a used gas tank on the internet some of it conflicting, best to take it to an experienced pro for the welding.

Edited by Vomio, 11 October 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#4 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

Well since the trim mounting brackets will need to be ground off and you are in for a repaint anyway and the stock filler neck sits up so high, completely purging the gas tank and welding in a new aftermarket bung and cap is probably the way to go.   There are lots of choices out there in Customland for example: https://www.lowbrowc...d-in-bung.html 

Needless to say don't empty the gas tank with a Shop-Vac and don't try to braze it in with the Bernzomatic on the kitchen table. (-;   Seriously don't.

EDIT:  There is lots of information on how to weld a used gas tank on the internet some of it conflicting, best to take it to an experienced pro for the welding.

Thats all not a problem for me. I wanted a bigger tank on my nighthawk so I cut it in two, added a 2" strip and fixed her up.

It's an undertaking, none the less.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.