#1 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

This the non-speedo in cowl early model.

Pulled two Allen head screws and attempted the fingertip lift, its seems well stuck down. I suspect a dbl sided tape, any tips, hints or suggestions?

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

The gas cap is off, right?  (-;

I am not familiar with that trim other than pictures, as my 1999 has the gas tank mounted speedometer, which clips at the front and the screws hold it down.

My "go to" for double sided trim tape is monofilament fishing line working it through the gap and sawing it back and forth, while pulling up from time to time.

At this point in time it would not be too much of a stretch that the mounting has been enhanced with adhesive.

#3 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

My I-net search for the answer to this since before and after posting has turned up nothing, that surprises me since this is a 19 year old bike......and the factory manual was NO help nor any part fiche I saw.

So I got creative and searched e-bay for tanks and trim, found the cover and multiple views; the bottom view showed me there is a 'grillwork' at the forward end bottom at the tank contact, no other clips or such, pretty basic.

Removed the two screws

Removed the gas cap

Plugged tank hole with a rag

Used a good sized flat blade screwdriver with a square shank to sit at the tank lip and pry GENTLY around the trim inner ring that meets with the cap. The tail end held by the screws popped up allowing me to lift and look under; the front end at the grillwork has some adhesive which gets some good grip in that grillwork and is stuck well to the tank. It came up and off with some wiggle and stretch, and the bits left over were hard to fingernail scrape off the tank!

Cleaned the surface with glass cleaner and paper towels, it was pretty grimy under there; two coats of wax and its all good now. A little dab of Silicone Seal and its softly glued back together until next time.

Knowing what I do now your suggestion of the fishing line 'saw' at the forward end would have been successful (but I had just come in from doing it when I saw your response) and I would recommend it; Thanx!

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#4 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

I'm glad to hear of your success, congratulations.

Thanks for posting the solution, the next time somebody searches on the internet, they will hopefully turn this up.  (-: