• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gcrank1

gcrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

Have the oem bars on the '98 ACE, plenty of leverage for sure but I think I wouldnt mind just a bit narrower though certainly do not want the exaggerated 'buckhorn' style.

Any comments regarding the '99 Shadow VLX 600 bars as to rise and width compared to the (am I correct?) 'beach bars'?

Edited by gcrank1, 07 August 2017 - 09:38 AM.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

This might help.

http://www.sideroadc...ockBarsOne.html

The stock bars drove my hands crazy.

I started my bar selection by mocking up where I wanted to be using what I had handy, a set of mountain bike handlebars some electrical conduit, zip ties and the old standby duct tape.

Once I had my position I took measurements for rise, width and pull back and then used that for shopping for suitable bars.

It was actually pretty easy as most bar manufacturers publish the dimensions and the above link let me know what was out there stock.

#3 gcrank1

gcrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Nice site, thanx!

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#4 gcrank1

gcrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

I look at the chart and pics of other bikes then go for a ride, try to imagine/hold my hands in different positions to 'feel it out, and pretty much end up right back where the oem grips are. My hands and wrists dont get tired, other than the normal hold the throttle open. Any change for me would be so minor as to be not worth the trouble. And at full lock turn with the oem's I am not about to foul anything (big plus that, Im almost too close with my cafe racer with clubmans).

Still, that is a GREAT chart for reference!

Edited by gcrank1, 13 August 2017 - 03:01 PM.

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#5 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

I look at the chart and pics of other bikes then go for a ride, try to imagine/hold my hands in different positions to 'feel it out, and pretty much end up right back where the oem grips are. My hands and wrists dont get tired, other than the normal hold the throttle open. Any change for me would be so minor as to be not worth the trouble.

Still, that is a GREAT chart for reference!

Try one of these for better leverage on the throttle, can't be without mine :

https://throttlerock...t-Side_p_9.html

Also I had some 1" spacers that went under the stock bars, allowed me to angle the ends down a bit more for a better wrist angle without hitting my legs in low speed turns, Traded them out for some Spirit risers I've never installed yet,,, miss the old spacers ...

http://www.ebay.com/...UVZX2WQ&vxp=mtr

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.