• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gcrank1

gcrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

My new to me '98 has a bit of an oem seat with some cover issues and the rest of the bike is so clean. I go 6' x 205 and the seat does feel like i could trim a bit out of the back of the bucket behind my tailbone.

Anybody in the USA got a nice oem seat hanging on the wall yer willing to part with? I know they aint the greatest but Im only good for a couple of hours riding anymore.

Or a big 'custom solo?

I see I can still get the Mustang cover, are they any good?

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

You may have to wait a bit before somebody comes home from riding, reads the forum and then remembers they have one hanging on a nail in their garage.  (-;

As an alternative:

You might turn something up on eBay, locally with Craigslist or if you don't mind such places AliExpress.

Be aware that unless you are into modifications the seat has to be specifically for the 1998 to 2003, 750 ACE or if sourcing from Asia the 1997 to 2003, 750 or 400 ACE. 

There are usually a fair number of offerings out there including simple knock-off replacement covers if your seat foam is still good.

You might also consider visiting an auto or marine upholstery shop to see what they can do to fix what you have.

There are several custom motorcycle seat rebuilders out there,  sorry I can't think of their names, but Google should turn them up. 

There is some good info referenced in this post.

http://www.750ace.co...cover-now-what/

No idea about the Mustang "stretch-over" covers, I'd be afraid of it shifting around over time, but maybe not,  I have been happy with the quality of the 18 year old Mustang 2 piece wide touring seats on my bike, so I know they make good stuff. 

#3 gcrank1

gcrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

My long suffering, and generous wife gifted me the Mustang studded cover and Fender Bib (JP Cycles) and Highway Hawk Rack (E-bay, yet to arrive).

I pulled the oem cover off the saddle (figured I would saran wrap the foam if needed, HATE sitting on a sponge!) and found the waterproof wrap beneath in pretty good shape. Without the stock staples to hold the wrap I used strips of shipping tape to hold the edges down to the pan while I WORKED the seat cover into place , nose first. BTW, there were no instructions...... It was a job, good grip is required working side to side to keep things even and continually pulling the nose tighter into place. The wrap had to help somewhat for thing to slide a bit at a time, I can only imagine if there were none and the foam was it.

Work it a bit, let it sit, come back and give another go.....eventually it was on (there is an elastic cord on the underside so no staples are required). It does look good and fits the oem foam shape well, It does NOT look like a 'cheap shower hat' at all but like a proper custom saddle. I really cant imagine it shifting but if it did it could be shifted back without having to pull staples, etc.

I cant see any edit function anymore or I would mark this post 'closed', edit must 'time out'?

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe