• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

I just finished doing to beanbox mod and upped the carb jets to 122\ /118 Pilot @ 42 AF 2.5 out , needles shimmed with 2 shims, carbs are super clean.

Cranking the throttle on acceleration, example would be passing a car or getting on the hwy, so 3/4 to WOT I get good pull -- FLAT-- GOOD pull..  I have no tach, but I think it's 0-2000 Good - 2000-3000 flat , 3000+ good.

Slide is not drilled, stock springs are in place, no tears or holes in the slide boots..

It's almost like I am having a vacuum leak somewhere, no idea where it would be, all the lines look good..

Plugs look nicely brown, not lean, not rich.. i'm about to swap out my vacuum lines as my next option.. anyone have any insight? 

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#2 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Since you say that you are not too lean.

I would guess the lack of early taper on the stock needles is causing or contributing to the problem, if the plugs are looking good (do a plug cut, just pull the two easy ones) after a sustained WOT  and if it seems to be making good power at that point, then lifting the needles higher may help.  

Try adding another shim under the needles and see if it improves a bit, if it does that should tell it is a needle problem.

You may have to mod the needle hold down by shortening the centre pin to accommodate the higher needle position in the slide.

I'm thinking that you may still be a little lean on the main jets, but the plug cut from WOT  and/or top end "seat of the pants" performance should tell you that.

Glad to hear the carbs are clean as trying to tune dirty ones is a waste of time.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Edited by Vomio, 28 July 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#3 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Alright, figured it out.  I pulled the full snorkel out of the air box and I have a UNI filter, I was getting just a little too much air, I blocked off 3/4" of the air intake where the snorkel was and bam Pulls right on through.

My test this morning was to put my batwing back on and try it, in previous setups my ace would struggle at higher speeds with this on, today I was well able to overtake cars and by my surprise had it up to 150km/h (*oops). The nice thing was the needle was still very much climbing, so the power I wanted is now finally there. 

I think I have 2 options, leave it as it is, or add the shim and open it right up. 

Next test is to put my wife on the back and parade her fine self around this weekend, it is after all her birth day :) 

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

#4 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Congrats on your detective work.

Have a good ride with your birthday wife.

#5 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Congrats on your detective work.

Have a good ride with your birthday wife.

Rode well with the batwing and with my wife. I'm going to leave her just like this and enjoy what's left of this less then stellar summer we are getting up north!

8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

#6 Jonestom

Jonestom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Who/What are you going to leave just like this?  The wife or the bike?!  :lol:  Glad the bike is running great.