Photo

Light bar problem. Calling all wiring gurus!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daddybland

daddybland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBull City

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm rehabing an '01 ACE thats been sitting outside for a decade. It has a lightbar from an unknown manufacturer (I think National, but who knows) I got the new bars mounted and all the internal wiring built, hooked it all up, no running lights. Everything else is working, including the turn signals which are part of the light bar. There is a black wire running out of the light bar with a bullet push connector (power?)  that has no obvious home, the wire is a couple of feet long so I'm fairly sure the connection is not in the headlight bell. My thought was maybe there was a female connector hooked to the battery or somewhere else that has fallen off over the years. Any guidance would be helpful, I'm fresh out of ideas.

#2 Shadow1

Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Definitely sounds like you have some custom lights. The original lights had two wires from each side that terminated in the headlight housing. These are both hot wires as the running and turn signals are not grounded to the bike. Since the one wire from each light is controlling a turn signal, that means that the other wire is the running light. The individual who installed those lights must have run the long wire directly to something like the ignition hot box or the fuse box.

The most important thing is that these lights are not, should not be grounded to the chassis. The trick is to figure out where near and under the seat or under the speedometer housing the wire was connected too. 

Wish I was of more help but I hope this little bit might lead you in the right direction.

2002 Shadow ACE Deluxe

#3 Joe_Bass

Joe_Bass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

Just thinking out loud as I am not mechanically inclined, but my lightbar has it's own on off switch. Could there have been something like that?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk