7 replies to this topic

#1 NButters1991

NButters1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I rode my 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 to work, and then when I went out to start it up to go home. It turned over once and then stopped. I shut off the bike and tried again and it clicked once, and then nothing happened. I took the battery out and let it charge overnight to 100% (I didn't think it was bad to begin with). Came back this morning and put the battery back in, it turned over once and then clicked, and stopped. Shut it off and now it does the same thing when I try and start it, clicks once and then nothing. Not sure if this matters, but I did notice some liquid on the left side of the bike. Right below the choke, and a little on the ground. I have never seen it do that before. Like I said, not sure if that plays a part in any of this.
Let me know if anyone has ideas on what to check first!

Attached Files

Edited by NButters1991, 16 June 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#2 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I rode my 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 to work, and then when I went out to start it up to go home. It turned over once and then stopped. I shut off the bike and tried again and not it just clicks once, and then nothing happens. I took the battery out and let it charge overnight to 100% (I didn't think it was bad to begin with). Came back this morning and put the battery back in, it turned over once and then clicked, and stopped. Shut it off and now it does the same thing when I try and start it, clicks once and then nothing. Not sure if this matters, but I did notice some liquid on the left side of the bike. Right below the choke, and a little on the ground. I have never seen it do that before. Like I said, not sure if that plays a part in any of this.
Let me know if anyone has ideas on what to check first!

Starter!! 

Look at the connection on the starter, (DISCONNECT BATTERY!!) look for any signs of corrosion that will be adding resistance and not giving enough juice to crank it.

Best way to see it is , from the right side if you were sitting on the bike. It's at the back of the rear cylinder. 

the liquid sounds like coolant, and there have been documented leaks at the bridge tube between the 2 cylinders, you can see it if you look below the choke right between the 2 cylinders.

Edited by X3R0, 16 June 2017 - 10:41 AM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#3 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

First thing I'd do is check the connections as X3R0 suggested.

Second thing I'd do is get the battery load tested at a local auto parts store, they usually do it for free.

One of those two will probably find the answer.

Doesn't sound like the charging system as the charging of the battery didn't improve things.

The leak is probably the O-rings on the cross-over tube as suggested.

http://www.750ace.co...ween-cylinders/

#4 homefry84.jw

homefry84.jw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Had a similar problem, was starter button.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#5 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

A good point to consider in the troubleshooting check list, an intermittent switch can cause strange hit or miss starting behavior, as can a bad relay. 

In this case we have an initially turning over starter and the click of the relay, which would to me indicate insufficient electrical power instead of a switching problem.

#6 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Had a similar problem, was starter button.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I agree with vomio , if it was the switch, there would be no relay click. Also the headlight turns off during starting. Check to see if you get this also.

My old truck was exactly like this, I used to have to take a rod and hammer and tap the connector to break a bit of corrosion off, once done, fired up no problem, but I had to do it every morning until my new starter came in.. PITA to swap that one out. Not a problem now, got rid of the truck :D

When dealing with copper corrosion, use warm water and baking soda, let the terminal sit in the solution for about 40 mins, then use an old toothbrush ( don't use your wife's or girlfriends current one, they don't like that for some reason..) and scrub the hell out of it. You can't soak the starter so just keep pouring it on the connector and scrubbing till clean.. If you don't get it all, it will come back quick. Finish it off with lithium grease and put it all back together.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

#7 NButters1991

NButters1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Just an update:

The bike sat over the weekend (with a fully charged battery might I add), and when I went yesterday to work on it. It fired right up! I didn't do anything except take the seats off, charge the battery, and poke around and make sure everything was connected.

Why would it go from clicking once, and not turning over to starting right up?

I don't want to be far from home and have this happen again, so any advice on what to change or do would be much appreciated! (advice from above duly noted)

#8 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Exactly what I said should be the first.  The fact it worked is because , more than likely, it still had a solid contact ( might even have an arc) from the last ride you took. 

Take it apart and inspect it.

8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wont Start, 2002, Honda Shadow ACE, 750, vt750