#1 mrjo1340

mrjo1340

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Let me start off by saying that I know when it comes to what's the best oil to use people get really passionate & swear by their choice brand. I just want to get a feel of what some peeps are putting into their ACE & what differences they may have noticed after doing so.
As for myself, I've been using Castrol Four Stroke (conventional) oil 10/40 & have had no problems. My ACE has over 85K K/ms & still runs strong. I think I'm the only one out of my riding buddies that doesn't use synthetic, but then again I change my oil @ 4K intervals & have been doing so since I bought her.
I haven't been using anything else & to the best of my knowledge the previous owner used the same oil as well & to date no issues or any signs of excessive wear.
I'm keeping an open mind & would like to hear any testimonials from anyone who'd like to share their experiences.

#2 sledar

sledar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

All I have ever used was Mobil 1 full synthetic 15w-50 and I change it once a year whether it needs it or not.  I usually put 5k miles (8k km) per year on the bike.  Just passed 81k miles (130k km) on the ticker.  Doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes.

**the service manual calls for oil and filter to be changed every 8k miles (12.8k km) ... and that was with the crappy conventional oil that was available in 1998!

Edited by sledar, 12 June 2017 - 02:11 PM.

Sledar

1998 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

#3 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

What the heck does Canadian tire sell? that, that's what I use. Same as sledar, change it once a year when I put her away, doesn't burn any oil, run smooth. Castrol 10w40. I use the fram filter, but I might change to K&N just for that damned socket end.

What City are you in anyway MrJo ?

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Pyle PLMCA30 Sound System with Bluetooth
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#4 mrjo1340

mrjo1340

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I'm from Richmond Hill, Ontario
So far I'm happy with the Castrol as my ACE has never burned any oil or showed any obvious signs that the motor is @ th end of the line as they say. I do tend to question though; what real benefit I'll get if any by making a switch to another oil. Yeah I know that synthetic is a much more superior quality, but aside from extended change intervals, I'd be hard pressed if I'll notice any significant difference should I make the switch.
My main objective right now is to keep her running strong for as long as I can cz I love the bike & truth be told I don't think I'll ever be able to get such a great bike @ a reasonable price.

#5 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm from Richmond Hill, Ontario
So far I'm happy with the Castrol as my ACE has never burned any oil or showed any obvious signs that the motor is @ th end of the line as they say. I do tend to question though; what real benefit I'll get if any by making a switch to another oil. Yeah I know that synthetic is a much more superior quality, but aside from extended change intervals, I'd be hard pressed if I'll notice any significant difference should I make the switch.
My main objective right now is to keep her running strong for as long as I can cz I love the bike & truth be told I don't think I'll ever be able to get such a great bike @ a reasonable price.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have this thought every once and a while, got so far as to have 3 liters of Lucas in my basket at the cash, then snapped out of it, got what I know works and left. Just yesterday I had my exhaust on the table ready to rip open and modify, then snapped out of it and realized I did this already and it's good as is!

So now i'm spending my money on other stuff, paint ( deep metallic lime with smoked clear :D ) , progressives front and back ( fronts will be here tomorrow :D). Other then that, I ordered new jets 118/122 and I will finally get the air box right.. Then it's just going to be a matter of enjoying it!

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42

#6 mwmerrill

mwmerrill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

i  use castrol RS with no issues

Matt

03' Ace 47K miles

#7 Carolina Ace

Carolina Ace

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

Honda gn4... made for Honda bikes.
The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride.

#8 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Amsoil full synthetic in everything since 1980 or so. No complaints

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

#9 Joe_Bass

Joe_Bass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

I used the stuff from WalMart....Castrol a couple times.
Then TSC had dino Rotella on for $2.99/ 946ml no limit. So I bought 2 cases and that's what I'm using now. Change once a year.
I'm not sold on synthetic, especially since my bike is a 98 and always had dino.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

#10 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

I tell my kids that my motorcycle runs on dinosaurs and they think it's the coolest thing ever.

8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42

#11 sledar

sledar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:54 AM

Warnings about the dangers of synthetic oil

http://www.nichols.nu/tip665.htm

Edited by sledar, 19 June 2017 - 06:56 AM.

Sledar

1998 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

#12 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Man that explains a lot, I wish I'd read that years ago.

I just accidentally spilled some on the pillion seat and ordered a fender rack.  (-;

#13 mrjo1340

mrjo1340

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

I just changed my oil over the weekend & stuck to my usual Castrol 4 Stroke conventional oil. Truth be told, I'm getting cold feet tinkering with different oil/brands this late in the game. Maybe if my ACE had half the kilometers on it I'd consider it but as I previously stated the motor still runs strong & has never burned a drop of oil... (At least in my Care)
I've considered just going with the Honda Gen4.. I know you can never go wrong with the manufacturer oil, but every brand whether it's cars, bikes, or what have you, they all recommend using their own brand for obvious reasons ($$$)
I'm sure their oil works just as great as some other lubricants.
I don't always turn to science & engineering for answers on certain things; so far almost all the input I found on this forum on any topic I've posted or read has been nothing short of phenomenal & has helped me make the most informed decisions