• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I have a solid question for ya but it may be a very stupid question. I have an 03 ace and I ordered two new tires for it last week and I pick them up tomorrow for install. It may blow your mind but the tires on my bike are literally the ones that came on it brand new back in 03 (original owner let it sit for 6 years, only has 6k miles) I am doing the install myself. I have looked and looked until my eyes crossed and I can't find the answer to this very question..... are there tubes in the tires originally or are they tubeless??? I got Kenda 761 and they are tubeless BUT the ace has spokes which I know are touchy for tubeless tires and there's always a 50 50 chance they may or may not be. Help! Lol I don't wanna start taking the old ones off and not be prepared with a new tube if needed because once they are off I am stuck at home until they are back on. (My bike is my transportation year round)

#2 HOK

HOK

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

Replaced the original tires on my 2000 ACE a year ago. Buy yourself tubes.
There are post on this site about the efforts to Mahe the rims air tight for tubeless tires.

Bottom line, you need tubes.

#3 Agent9

Agent9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Ha ha.
The bike I just bought is a 2000 and had the original tires on it. They were stiff. No way I was riding on them.

Oh yeah, as said already you need tubes. I just reused the tubes that were in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

Thank you guys! That's crazy. I was assuming there were tubes.

#5 Joe_Bass

Joe_Bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Ha ha.
The bike I just bought is a 2000 and had the original tires on it. They were stiff. No way I was riding on them.

Oh yeah, as said already you need tubes. I just reused the tubes that were in there.

I'm no expert but this is normally not recommended.
That being said, I did the same.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

#6 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Yea I ended up using the same tubes in the old tires. They had no wrinkles in them and looked great. My buddy that owns a tire shop here locally took one look at them and said man I'd just put those back in. He threw some baby powder in the tire to prevent tube stick and to make them last longer and now I'm back on the road. Side note: once I realized there were tubes inside I paid my buddy to take them off and put the new ones on ha ha I was gonna wrestle them off and on with pry bars and I didn't wanna puncture the tubes. Long story short, I'm all good. Thanks for the help!

#7 roger02

roger02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

I would go with new tubes either. Not familiar with the use of baby powder.

#8 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Always replace the tubes when you replace the tires.

And it's not crazy, I bought the bike new in 2003 and still have the tires on it. They have been well cared for and have 33,000km on them. 

I brought them in last year to get inspected by my local tire guy because I had a moment of consumerism and bought into the belief that tires only last a few years and they found absolutely nothing wrong with them, they will stay on the bike until they are dead. If you take care of them they should last a long long time.

I'll take a few photos of my tires tonight and post em, you guys can judge.

Edit : Added photos.

Still lots of life in them. 

Attached Files

Edited by X3R0, 13 June 2017 - 09:02 AM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive fronts and 412 Rears

Mustang Touring seat
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#9 Rage

Rage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert, SK

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

I replaced my tires a couple summers ago, and replaced one of the tubes as the tech advised me it looked to be in rough shape. The other was in good shape however, and the tech said I can re-use it and now I have been running it with no problems.

I didn't like the idea of re-using the tubes personally, but being a man on a budget, I let it go. I also trusted the tech's opinion and ability, which also helped in my decision.

2001 Honda Shadow ACE

2009 Yamaha FX Nytro RTX-SE

shadow fall

#10 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

For f sakes... As soon as I posted my tires proving they are good, I eat a damned NAIL!!

And I have a charity ride saturday!! I'll be sitting outside the dealership tomorrow morning waiting for them to open! 😫

Edited by X3R0, 15 June 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

#11 Agent9

Agent9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

I just replaced the rear on the Tiger. I had not 1, not 2, but 3 nails in it. I'm sure it was some asshat dropping them in the alley.

#12 Carolina Ace

Carolina Ace

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Always, always, always replace the tubes with new when putting on new tires. How much would you pay to not sit on the side of the road with a popped tube.....these are spoked rims and require tubes.
The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride.

#13 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

I laughed when the dealer called me back asking if I wanted new tubes.. I said "Does anyone not get new tubes? And how soon do you see them again?" He said true. $25 a lot cheaper than $50 + $25 to have them removed new tube balanced.. got it off, do it right.

8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox

Mustang Touring seat

#14 tabaka45

tabaka45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, GA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Easy job once you’ve done it. But the first time I did it I pinched a tube with the tire irons. It’s easy to do.

#15 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

If the only thing they have is Chinese-made tubes, I'll re-use the American or Japanese made tubes.

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.