26 replies to this topic

#21 Johnsontu10

Johnsontu10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationApex/Raleigh North Carolina

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Maybe try adjusting the coarse clutch adjustment? Could it be possible that the previous owner(s) kept adjusting the friction zone to tune it to their liking? Just throwing ideas out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Do you still have the original plates around? If so, try putting them back in with the new springs. Or at least compare the thickness of the old and new. Verify the new plates are not warped, lay them on a flat surface. Also re-check that they are stacked correctly in there. stuff happens,,, 

EDIT:  Also might just try running it a while, get it warmed up, keep revving the motor in neutral with the clutch pulled in and see if it will release after a bit. I'm vaguely remembering mine doing some grabbing like that after replacing just the springs, but it quit after a short ride. could be my faulty memory though,,,

And verify the correct number of plates, no extra steel or friction plates in there?  We're also assuming it was working ok before the parts change? Like Vomio said, we're running out of ideas.

Edited by Cleve, 23 May 2017 - 08:01 AM.

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

#23 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

This ever get solved?

Pictures are worth a million here.

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive front springs - rears will be this winter.
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.

#24 Mario

Mario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRochester New York

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:35 AM

Ok So I have figured out what my problem was after I got the correct clutch plates. I was talking with my brother-in-law and he asked if I had the kickstand up when I put it in gear. Naturally I could not remember so I put the oil back in and fired it up and yep you guessed it I am an idiot lol. I want to thank everybody for your input and advice. this site is very helpful and I appreciate the help.

#25 Cleve

Cleve

Gray Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

Well,,, As someone put it: " I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more"

Edited by Cleve, 20 June 2017 - 06:42 AM.

Cleve

Motorcycles - Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

#26 Agent9

Agent9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

I did the same thing. I was so excited to fire the bike up after getting everything back together that after I fired it up I forgot to put the kickstand up. Put it in gear and "Klunk", dead. WTF?
I looked around then looked down. Oh yeah, that kickstand thingy. Never mind that the yellow light on the speedo was already telling me it was down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 X3R0

X3R0

Veteran

• Contributor
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

LOL , it's one of those things that I just figured "Well everyone knows the stand has to be up, so it can't be that.." thoughts.. I guess you can't assume everything :) 

Glad it worked out!

Modified Stock Exhaust - Hollowed and re baffled for that nice rumble all the kids want.
8" Forwards
38T Mod
UNI filter - BeanBox
Rejetted 118/122 -42 AF 2.25 out
Memphis Batwing with Flip
Progressive front springs - rears will be this winter.
Paladin Quick Change back rest for the Wife.