#1 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

I ride with a few guys who own Harley Davidson motorcycles and they seem to always look down on me and even question my patriotism because I ride a Honda. I really hate there attitudes but laugh it off and make some kinda remark about price and reliability. But what's really funny is when I ask them what kind of vehicle (car or truck/SUV) they drive most of them say Honda or Toyota or KIA or some other non USA made brand. How is that any different. It usually shuts them up when I tell them I drive a Ford made in the USA and they all drive Toyota's or Honda's.

Never ride faster then your Angel can fly.

#2 ace of clubs

ace of clubs

Old as Dirt

• Contributor
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationMiddleton Mass USA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

Tell them to look very closely to the back of their mirrors... a lot of the parts on their bikes are made in Japan... that'll shut them up.

2002 Ace 2000 Valkyrie
Posted ImagePosted Image
Patriot Guard Riders
Not all who wander, are lost.

#3 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:46 AM

ace of clubs, on 15 Jun 2016 - 08:12, said:
Tell them to look very closely to the back of their mirrors... a lot of the parts on their bikes are made in Japan... that'll shut them up.

Yeah I have told them that and more. Like most of the electrical components are also out-sourced from foreign countries. It's just the nature of manufacturing in the world today. I work for a venting manufacture here in Mass and although we brag about it being a USA product I know a lot of our components are from China even though the finished product is made here it's not entirely a USA product.

#4 Vomio

Vomio

Gray Beard

• Managers
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

I understand HD plays a bit of a game "American sourcing" their foreign supplies through US distributors who actually do the importing of the goods.

FWIW most Harley Davidson bikes post AMF have Showa forks, yep the same as Honda.

There is a lot of  revisionist history going on in the marketing of HD and owners tend to lap it up.

The whole "Made in X" thing is getting pretty old in this interconnected world, where most company's customers are actually the shareholders, the buyers are just consumers a mere facet of the annual report .

#5 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

I understand HD plays a bit of a game "American sourcing" their foreign supplies through US distributors who actually do the importing of the goods.

FWIW most Harley Davidson bikes post AMF have Showa forks, yep the same as Honda.

There is a lot of  revisionist history going on in the marketing of HD and owners tend to lap it up.

The whole "Made in X" thing is getting pretty old in this interconnected world, where most company's customers are actually the shareholders, the buyers are just consumers a mere facet of the annual report .

So true.

#6 Ramblin' Rawb

Ramblin' Rawb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

hey guys, its been a while, I sincerely hope all is well!

I agree that most HD riders most often look down on people that don't have a Harley,  I have experienced these knuckle heads myself.

I find myself attaching a stigma to most Harley Riders and it's something that I really shouldn't do, yet some frustrate the crap outta me. The stigma being that most Harley riders are just rich and ignorant butt wads that got the bike because they bought into the propaganda of the name, and have the money to blast one hell of a pretty penny on a machine that, most likely, they barely understand.  Then they go around doggin' on bikes that aren't Harleys.  Or sometimes they are just meat heads who grew up in a Harley family or hanging out with and around the rougher crowds (ie. clubs) and that is all they know...is Harleys.

However, a few years ago I went on my first cross country bike tour with a Honda CB900.  Most Harley riders ignored me at gas stations and such, yet every now and then, elderly guys would come up to me, curious and say hey, look at the bike and had the same sentiment, " You got a Honda, they are good engines, this'll get ya there..."  All who took the time to stop and talk were old Harley dudes, grew up on Harleys and worked on em. They were very supportive and generally excited to see someone my age living out of a bike. I also had a really cool younger Harley dude, sacrifice the little time that he had to help me out with my Honda when it was having some major problems.  

All in all, it obviously depends on the person, but I have been trying to give Harley riders a chance, but most are so effing annoying. Also note that back in the old days, the only reason there were so many Harley's around was because they were bein sold dirt cheap, because after WWII the military didnt need them anymore or were incredibly overstocked. Now they are so expensive and unjustly so that it is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having a Harley later on in life, but I would like to build it myself...then I can make fun of people with non harley bikes to make my pp feel bigger...just joking!

Edited by Ramblin' Rawb, 19 June 2016 - 07:58 PM.

Ramblin' Rawb

https://www.facebook.../nosediveslide/

http://nosedive2.ban.../track/big-road

Bikes past and present:

1978 XS750 Special

1979 XS650 Special

1981 CB900C

1982 CB650C

2001 A.C.E. Deluxe

#7 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

hey guys, its been a while, I sincerely hope all is well!

I agree that most HD riders most often look down on people that don't have a Harley,  I have experienced these knuckle heads myself.

I find myself attaching a stigma to most Harley Riders and it's something that I really shouldn't do, yet some frustrate the crap outta me. The stigma being that most Harley riders are just rich and ignorant butt wads that got the bike because they bought into the propaganda of the name, and have the money to blast one hell of a pretty penny on a machine that, most likely, they barely understand.  Then they go around doggin' on bikes that aren't Harleys.  Or sometimes they are just meat heads who grew up in a Harley family or hanging out with and around the rougher crowds (ie. clubs) and that is all they know...is Harleys.

Exactly!

However, a few years ago I went on my first cross country bike tour with a Honda CB900.  Most Harley riders ignored me at gas stations and such, yet every now and then, elderly guys would come up to me, curious and say hey, look at the bike and had the same sentiment, " You got a Honda, they are good engines, this'll get ya there..."  All who took the time to stop and talk were old Harley dudes, grew up on Harleys and worked on em. They were very supportive and generally excited to see someone my age living out of a bike. I also had a really cool younger Harley dude, sacrifice the little time that he had to help me out with my Honda when it was having some major problems.  

All in all, it obviously depends on the person, but I have been trying to give Harley riders a chance, but most are so effing annoying. Also note that back in the old days, the only reason there were so many Harley's around was because they were bein sold dirt cheap, because after WWII the military didnt need them anymore or were incredibly overstocked. Now they are so expensive and unjustly so that it is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having a Harley later on in life, but I would like to build it myself...then I can make fun of people with non harley bikes to make my pp feel bigger...just joking!

#8 Coalminer

Coalminer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNakusp BC Canada

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have run into same type of people.

Served 1 PPCLI Can Army. Two tours overseas.

Regular occupation after Army Underground Coal Miner. Retired as General Foreman Underground Operations from Grande Cache Coal Corp.

2015 Honda Fit

2013Honda Ridgeline

Honda Gen Set

2003 Honda Shadow ACE

#9 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

We have a 1/2 doz. or more riders that I work with and we all park in the same parking area to save space's for other people with cars. All that is except for the only Harley guy. Go figure right? I asked this guy why he didn't put his bike with the rest of us and he replied " I don't park with Jap bikes."  I said "no your just an as#ho#%".

Edited by Frankie's ACE, 23 June 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#10 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Ok I guess I'm a hypocrite I just bought a Harley but I'll never be one of those guys who looks at bikes made by brands other than Harley with distain or think less of the owners of those bikes, like always I appreciate anybody who rides regardless of what they ride. I road my 2001 Honda Shadow 750 American Classic Edition for the last 10 years and put on more then 54000 trouble free miles on it. How can I ever not respect a machine built by Honda. Quality, Reliability and Classic looks are the trade marks of the ACE. Stay riding my friends. Thanks to all.      Attached File  00i0i_1ZgJw475cYF_1200x900.jpg   128.62K   14 downloads

Edited by Frankie's ACE, 26 July 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#11 ace of clubs

ace of clubs

Old as Dirt

• Contributor
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

Good luck with the Harley Frankie... It's a nice ride as well.

2002 Ace 2000 Valkyrie
Posted ImagePosted Image
Patriot Guard Riders

#12 Vomio

Vomio

Gray Beard

• Managers
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

Frankie, I don't even hold you being a Ford enthusiast against you.

I've never met you but I can gather from this place that you are a pretty good sort.

I don't think a change of bike brand is going to mess you up. 

Edited by Vomio, 26 July 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#13 Frankie's ACE

Frankie's ACE

Old Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Vomio the feeling is mutual I've only met 2 other members of the forum face to face but I have enjoyed conversing and exchanging info and Ideas with all of you. It's been a great ride and even though I'll be riding a Harley it will never change how I feel about my Honda and everybody who rides Hondas. Oh by the way You'll still find me checking in here everyday.......I have a lot of free time at work and I have a few take off parts for the ACE in my garage if anybody is interested PM me.

Edited by Frankie's ACE, 28 July 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#14 Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

I've had that same thing happen (to the OP). FWIW,we own a Toyota and Mazda (our Toyota was built in the USA,by American workers,BTW). I point out my Veteran license plate,remind them that while they were sitting on their butts enjoying a free ride at their parent's house after high school,I spent 4 years in the US Army,2 of those in combat zones. It usually shuts them up pretty quick,LOL :p 

1991 Kawasaki KDX200,2001 Kawasaki KL250 (Super Sherpa),2003 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe 750,2008 Honda CRF250X

My Blog: https://myblog189.wordpress.com/

#15 pyrodrake77

pyrodrake77

• Contributor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouth-Central PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

I finally got my Shadow ACE, so I ride Honda.  My car is a Honda.  But I will drive whatever as long as it works.  I'd like to own a Harley one day, but they're ridiculously expensive due to the branding.  I'm grateful that the few Harley owners I've had personal interactions with have been mostly pleasant, and quite supportive of someone starting on the 2-wheeled road.  

#16 ace of clubs

ace of clubs

Old as Dirt

• Contributor
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

Good for you Pyrodrake... Ride safe and often.   I ride both the Honda Ace and a Honda Valkyrie.  I have a lot of friends that ride various makes of bikes... most are Harley's.  Whenever I get a wisecrack about brand out of one of them, which is rare...  I tell them to look at the back of their mirror in the very small print as a lot of the parts on their "American" bike are made in JAPAN... lol.

2002 Ace 2000 Valkyrie
Posted ImagePosted Image
Patriot Guard Riders

#17 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

I've dealt with a lot of this myself. My wife's grandpa always makes a comment when he sees me out on it. I just blow it off. Nothing is 100% American made anymore so their arguments are invalid. Plus in my opinion there is only one Harley I'd rather have aside from my ace and some part of me won't allow myself to spend 25k on a factory bike. That's ridiculous. They pay for the name and are followers. Ace all day

#18 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

I've dealt with a lot of this myself. My wife's grandpa always makes a comment when he sees me out on it. I just blow it off. Nothing is 100% American made anymore so their arguments are invalid. Plus in my opinion there is only one Harley I'd rather have aside from my ace and some part of me won't allow myself to spend 25k on a factory bike. That's ridiculous. They pay for the name and are followers. Ace all day