#2 firecaptp7

firecaptp7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationRural NW Missouri USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'm not certain how you intended this to be received - but several years ago my mother was run over as she was walking trough the parking lot from her parked car to the front door of the bank where she worked. The person hit her - stopped - backed up and ran over her again. She almost didn't live - went through numerous surgeries - lived in hospitals and rehab facilities for months - and is crippled for life. The driver was in a hurry to go through the ATM line - which he continued to do even after running over her twice.

Personally - I've had to dodge more than a few cars that are hurrying through parking lots - often they're using their cell phones.

Jerry

......... My avocation is running headlong into brick walls.

Sittin' In The Garage - 71 BMW R75/5, 82 Honda Ascot FT500, 98 Honda Shadow ACE, 00 Kawasaki W650, 14 Royal Enfield C5

#3 Soupy1957

Soupy1957

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Personally - I've had to dodge more than a few cars that are hurrying through parking lots - often they're using their cell phones.

Jerry

Sorry to hear of your Mom's troubles.  Horrible.  On yesterday's ride to Rhode Island, a woman coming FROM a Parking Lot (typical scenario), in a hurry to get out into traffic, didn't see me.  I saw it coming, so I pulled to the left side of the lane and hit my horn.  When she hear the horn, she immediately stopped and looked, and gave me the palm to palm "forgive me" sign.

I "forgave" her, after a moment of angst, (lol), but it brought home to roost the common issue of being a minimal profile that needs to be seen.

........and they wonder why we run with loud pipes!!

-Soupy

"Today is the 'tomorrow' you worried about yesterday!"

-Bullet

#4 jmichael

jmichael

wingman

• Contributor
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationMabelvale, Arkansas

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Buy and install a head light modulator on your bike...cost about $100 and is a simple self install! Best insurance I ever bought to make my motorcycle more visible from the front and in traffic! You did right, but when these type of folks see a blinking light, they normally stop cause they are conditioned to due to strobes on police cars, fire trucks, ambulances and even wreckers. Sure they are different colors but they all draw attention and that is what it takes to get a second look from most cagers!
Edited my display name and got not 1 friggin comment! MAN! HA HA :) Honda 2008 GL1800 Honda 1969 K1 CT90 Trail

#5 ace of clubs

ace of clubs

Old as Dirt

• Contributor
  • 3,582 posts
  • LocationMiddleton Mass USA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

I have pondered the modulator mod.  One thing that stops me is that some folks view a headlight blink as, "ok, go ahead and go, I'm letting you out or letting you turn in front of me" !!!  This happens a lot in cages as you well may know.

2002 Ace 2000 Valkyrie
Posted ImagePosted Image
Patriot Guard Riders
Not all who wander, are lost.

#6 Z-ACE-TX

Z-ACE-TX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

Man I'll tell you a story that will have you scratching your head. True story. In 2012 I had a sport bike (wish i had already outgrew that stage before i started riding) but anyway, I was doing about 45mph down highway 5 here in north Texas. A van pulled out in front of me causing me to T bone him at 45 while he was paying no attention and trying to cross the highway. I launched through his side glass and into the back of the van. It knocked me out on impact. I woke up 2 miles from the wreck site only to find out, while very confused, the guy tried to run not knowing I was in the back and a witness of the wreck ran him off the road and made him stop. Once he realized I was in the van with him he panicked and ran. Cops chased him and caught him. No license nothing. Didn't even speak a lick of English. I was in the hospital for a week and I'm a back brace for 4 weeks. Moral of the story, people need to watch for bikes!!!!