• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kyacer

kyacer

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

2003 ace . I noticed yesterday that i had a drip ( 1 drip) that had formed at the bottom of my water pump . It seems to be coming out of the weep hole. Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the pump? I checked my coolent levels and it still is full. Just dont want any problems while on a trip. Looking at a website call cheap cycle parts , they want 155.00 dollars for a new one . Is that about the right price ? Thanks for all the help ..... BIG NEAL

#2 Jerry Scribner

Jerry Scribner

Gray Beard

• Contributor
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

You can download the service manual by copying the following line into your browser:

hxxp://uploadingit.com/file/uopqqjgnuxo ... Manual.zip

then REPLACE the xx in hxxp with tt, making it the familiar http. I just downloaded it successfully, and looked at the procedure. It looks simple enough in the pictures, but they show the engine out of the bike and on a stand. The manual specifically states that the pump can be replaced in the bike, but it's probably not quite as clean and convenient.

The manual says that if there is evidence of leakage, the pump must be replaced.

I have no idea about the price, but would recommend calling a Honda dealer's parts department for a price to compare.

Good luck
Jerry

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that,  if so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." - Bertrand Russell 

#3 PlaneCrazy

PlaneCrazy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,456 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Canada

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

One drip or two is not an immediate worry, yet. I had that happen a couple of times over the years and every time, it went away after I drove the bike for a while. I think some coolant will leak by the seals when they are dry because the bike has sat a while and not driven and the seals dry out.

Keep an eye on it and if it starts to leak constantly, then you know you need to replace the water pump. You do not want to have to do that until you are sure though as it involves removing the engine from the frame :shock:

==========================================================================

PlaneCrazy

Administrator

==========================================================================

planecrazy

#4 Jerry Scribner

Jerry Scribner

Gray Beard

• Contributor
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

PC is right (as usual)... thanks for the correction.

I misread the statement in the manual. You can only remove the cover and o-ring with the engine in the frame. Reading the whole procedure, it says to remove the engine from the frame to remove the pump from the crankcase.

Jerry

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that,  if so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." - Bertrand Russell 

#5 realengo_biker

realengo_biker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I do that job on my ace and in a spirit..I dont need to remove the engine from the frame..but its true..you need some skill to do that....

takeout the carbs and any wires.....loose any bolt of the frame...one is in the front.the other two is on the back....remove
The other bolt and finaly the rear pivot or swingarm bolt..(the more dificult ) when you try to lose it th motor move around one and a half inches...to the right that is the espace you need to remove the water pump..is not easy! But its the way i do

#6 mwmerrill

mwmerrill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

I think I have to replace my water pump.

the previous owner used coolant with silicates.  every time i ride the bike I get about 5 drops of coolant beneath the water pump.

haven't checked the coolant reservoir yet but I will this weekend.

Matt

03' Ace 47K miles

#7 mwmerrill

mwmerrill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

realengo_biker

hi,

question. would you recommend removing the swing arm then re installing the bolt to hold the motor to how it

then push the engine to the right?

i plan on having the bike on a lift so I will not be able to put a lift under the motor.

thank you - Matt

Matt

03' Ace 47K miles

#8 mwmerrill

mwmerrill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

hi,   i replaced the water pump on my 03 ace this past weekend,

it is possible to remove the pump without removing the motor. 

after removing exhaust and other misc items and draining oil and coolant

you use the swing arm bolt to hold the rear of the motor up  after removing rear swing arm,

and on the front there are 2 cross bolts with spacers that can be removed.  remove the spacers put bolt back in.

remove the rear motor mount bracket behind the  rear cylinder the motor will slide about 2 inches to the right.  plenty of room 

i will try to do a complete write up and post.

matt

Matt

03' Ace 47K miles

#9 gcrank1

gcrank1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationsouth central, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

The pumps dont just suddenly fail, they just get to leaking more over time. Keep yer eye on it.

A drip or two is not much to worry about and often stay that way for a good long time. Wouldnt be a bad idea to change the coolant if not done recently; it has an additive package in it also to condition and lube the seals.

'81 Yamaha SR500 Caff Racer, the Old School Real Deal

'09 Suzuki TU250X ,The Silent Red Fellow

'98 Honda 750ACE Deluxe

#10 Vomio

Vomio

This is not my nic

• Managers
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

Once a water pump starts to drip it is IME only a matter of time until one must face the ultimate replacement.

Another thing to watch besides the drip rate at the vent, is that oil is not getting into the coolant or vice-versa.